The Chef Agency
EXECUTIVE CHEF POSITION – OVERVIEW
The Ingomar Club is a private social and dining club housed in the world-famous Carson Mansion in Eureka, CA. The Ingomar Club is the pinnacle of fine dining in Humboldt County. Food services include ala carte lunch and dinner service, special member/theme events, private parties and banquets, and summer snack bar operations at our heated swimming pool.
The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years’ experience as an Executive Chef, Head Chef, or Sous Chef in an upscale, creative food and beverage operation. You must have a passion for food, people, and culinary excellence.
While operations tend to change seasonally depending on holidays and special events, the Club is typically open Tuesday-Saturday, and closed Sunday and Monday. This full-time position has responsibility for menu creation, design and item costing, food and supply purchases, inventory control, and kitchen staff hiring and training. Must be a team player working in concert with and promoting harmony between the kitchen and front of house staff. A professional presence in the front of the house, offering cooking classes and “touching tables” at dinner service is desirable.
· Relocation allowance and temporary housing, if necessary
· Competitive salary
· Participation in the Employee Holiday Fund
· Health insurance with optional family coverage, dental and vision
· Vacation and sick
· Uniform allowance and cleaning
· Dining allowance and/or professional association fees, workshops, etc.
For more information about the Ingomar Club, go to www.ingomar.org
OTHER INFORMATION TO CONSIDER
While the following is not a fully comprehensive description of our operations, nor a guarantee that hours of operations or job requirements won’t change in the future, it is provided as a a snapshot of where we are at this point in time.
· This is a very small operation with total food and beverage revenues of $700,000.
· Anticipated starting salary range is $70-80,000. (It should be noted that the cost of living in Eureka is less than half of LA or San Francisco. Check your comparison here: bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/eureka-ca/ )
· This is a hands-on, working chef position.
· Currently the kitchen staff consists of the Executive Chef, four line cooks and three dishwashers.
· The kitchen is relatively small, with limited refrigeration and freezer storage, much of which is in the basement
· Kitchen equipment could be described as “vintage but adequate”
· Food operations average 25-30 lunch covers, 35-40 dinner covers, and occasional member sponsored groups ranging from 25 guests up to 150-175.
· Typical work week for ala carte dining is lunch Tuesday (basically a half day), lunch and dinner Wednesday-Friday (full work day), and dinner only on Saturday night (another half day). Banquets and special events sometimes supersede ala carte dining, and other times create extra hours/work days.
· The Chef is responsible for creation and delivery of consistent lunch and dinner menu items, offering 2-3 specials each week, typically a fresh, local seafood item.
· Must also establish banquet menus for brunch, luncheon, dinner parties as well as hors d’oeurves selections and theme buffets.
· Flexibility is a must with the ability to offer vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and other special diet entrees upon request.
· Due to limited storage space and considering the Club’s fiscal requirements, the Chef Must be adept at ordering, food costing and inventory control.
· Personality will be as important as culinary skill in the final selection. The Chef must have the ability to train and supervise kitchen staff while promoting harmony and cooperation with dining room staff. A professional appearance is required as the Chef must also spend time on the floor, touching tables, meeting members and guests daily.
· A sample of typical member events includes:
o Dungeness Crab Feed (Jan)
o Superbowl, Valentines, and an Italian theme night (Feb)
o Winemaker dinners – typically one per month, February-July
o Easter and Mother’s Day Brunches
o Cattleman’s (May) and Lumberman’s (Nov) nights with up to 200 guests
o Pool Snack Bar operations and several Garden Parties (mid-May through October)
o 4th of July Family BBQ and fireworks
o Annual Meeting/Election dinner (Nov)
o Thanksgiving Eve Mansion Lighting Party and Family Buffet
o Thanksgiving Take Out dinner packages (Typically closed for Thanksgiving weekend)
o Member Christmas Party (first Friday of Dec)
o Brunch with Santa
o Family Christmas Buffet (Dec 23rd – Closed Christmas Eve and Day)
o New Year’s Eve Party (Closed New Years Day)